British woman accusing Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis of rape ‘asked for part in James Bond’

[ad_1]

A British woman who claims she was ‘raped’ by Oscar-winning film director Paul Haggis asked him to get her a part in a James Bond film, it has been claimed.

The unidentified 30-year-old was found in a distressed state last week and told police she had been kept in an Italian bed and breakfast for 48 hours and abused by him, before being dumped at an airport.

Haggis, who appeared before a judge on Wednesday, has denied any wrongdoing and his lawyer Michele Laforgia, has insisted sex between the couple was consensual.

Haggis, who co-wrote, directed and produced Crash, which won the 2006 Academy Awards for best picture and best screenplay, is pictured with his lawyers outside the court in Italy

Haggis, who co-wrote, directed and produced Crash, which won the 2006 Academy Awards for best picture and best screenplay, is pictured with his lawyers outside the court in Italy

File photo: Haggis is pictured on October 16, 2015 arriving at the Rome Film Festival

File photo: Haggis is pictured on October 16, 2015 arriving at the Rome Film Festival

Have you got a story for MailOnline?

**Have you got a story for MailOnline? Email [email protected]**

A behind closed doors hearing took place in Brindisi court on Wednesday to decide whether the Canadian – who co-wrote Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace – should be freed pending further investigations by Italian police.

A request for release from house arrest was later turned down by an Italian judge and he will have to remain in Italy while the investigation continues.

Ahead of his hearing local media carried details of a seven page memo he is said to have drawn up for his lawyer in which he reportedly claimed that he had met the woman at Monte Carlo in April at a film festival and the two had remained in touch through whatsapp.

Haggis claimed the pair had spoken briefly in Monte Carlo and she had expressed a desire to be in the next James Bond film and later posted a picture with him saying it was ‘an honor to meet’ him.

He then described how the two had then met at Ostuni near Brindisi in June and they had driven to his hotel where she then ‘kissed’ him passionately.

Haggis in the memo goes on to claim the two then had sex after she had taken a shower, underlining it had been consensual and the following day they had gone out together ahead of the Allora Film Festival in Ostuni which he was attending as a guest with his daughter.

He told his lawyer that the woman had ‘insisted’ on holding his hand – which he said he was not comfortable with – and she had been left upset by his reaction.

Once back at their room he claimed the pair then had consensual sex again, the following day Haggis said he left her as he had a business appointment and she met with friends before that evening they met again, according to his leaked statement, where they once again had consensual sex.

In mid-June he claimed the woman had gone out again with friends but returned drunk and tried to have sex with him but he had refused and had then began describing how she was the next Bond girl.

The statement then goes on to alleviate that the following day early in the morning Haggis took the woman to Brindisi airport for her flight back to Stansted where she asked him for money but he refused and drove away.

Haggis wrote the screenplays for the Daniel Craig blockbusters Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace and he won an Oscar with his screenplay for the 2004 hit Crash

Haggis wrote the screenplays for the Daniel Craig blockbusters Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace and he won an Oscar with his screenplay for the 2004 hit Crash

Staff later found her in a distressed state and police were called and she told them that she had been locked up for the last three days and forced to have sex with Haggis.

Officer tracked him down to his hotel and he was placed under house arrest until his appearance before judge Vanda Gilli today.

Mr Laforgia insisted officers had ‘badly interpreted’ the findings of the medical report and that in fact the couple were known to each other and the sex was consensual.

Haggis co-wrote, directed and produced Crash, which won the 2006 Academy Awards for best picture and best screenplay. He also wrote the screenplay for Million Dollar Baby, another Oscar winner.

He has had legal problems in recent years stemming from sexual misconduct accusations by four women in the United States, which have yet to be decided in court and that Haggis has denied.

An external view of the Brindisi law court, with the judge set to rule on whether Haggis can be set free pending possible additional investigation

An external view of the Brindisi law court, with the judge set to rule on whether Haggis can be set free pending possible additional investigation

Haggis, who co-wrote, directed and produced Crash, which won the 2006 Academy Awards for best picture and best screenplay, is pictured with his lawyers outside the court in Italy Haggis is pictured scanning through metal detectors at the Brindisi law court in southern Italy

Haggis, who co-wrote, directed and produced Crash, which won the 2006 Academy Awards for best picture and best screenplay, is pictured with his lawyers outside the court in Italy Haggis is pictured scanning through metal detectors at the Brindisi law court in southern Italy

Last night Judge Vanda Gilli ruled he would have to remain in Italy and a further hearing later this month with the woman who has also been told to stay in the country.

Mr Laforgia told Mail Online: ‘The judge has ordered Mr Haggis to be kept under house arrest but he should be noted the order highlights, as have always insisted, there is no evidence in the medical examination of physical injuries.

‘We also underline once again that the accused completely denies the accusations and that we hope clarity will be rapid and he will be freed as a result.

‘Mr Haggis answered all the questions put to him by the judge and has aid he is willing to remain in the country as long as is necessary to prove his innocence.’

He added: ‘Paul Haggis’ defender denies that the text partially published in a newspaper corresponds to the statements that the suspect will make in the interrogation before the Preliminary Investigations Judge of Brindisi.

‘The quoted sentences were extrapolated from a confidential and confidential note forwarded by Mr Haggis before being detained, in open violation of the confidentiality of private communications and correspondence protected by criminal law, the Italian Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights.

‘For this violation, Mr. Haggis reserves all actions to protect his rights before the competent authorities.’

Haggis is accused of sexual violence.

**Have you got a story for MailOnline? Email [email protected]**

.

[ad_2]

Source link

Here Are All The New Stars Joining “Dune: Part Two”

International views on Russia plummeted, while views of NATO, US increased, Pew survey finds